Between washes, masks, creams, serums, and lotions, you would think you would have enough to keep your skin happy and healthy.
Unfortunately, that’s not always the case. Much like the inside of our bodies, our skin needs nutrients to thrive. What we eat and drink on a daily basis has major effects from the inside out.
Here are a few foods that can help you have beautiful, glistening skin.
Top Foods for Healthy Skin
- Oranges- All citrus fruits, especially oranges, are a good source of Vitamin C, fiber, minerals, and vitamins. Vitamin C contains antioxidants that can help you attain glowing skin. Antioxidants naturally clear your skin of toxins, assisting you with fading scars, marks, and blemishes on your skin. Eating oranges or drinking unsweetened orange juice can start your journey to radiant skin!
- Salmon- Omega-3 fatty acids help protect your skin from harmful chemicals and sun radiation. That’s only one component of salmon that aids the development of healthy skin. Astaxanthin, a naturally-occuring carotenoid that is found in salmon, also helps improve skin’s texture, and can slow down your skin’s aging process. These benefits of astaxanthin are a large reason why it’s used in the production of many women’s cosmetics.
- Almonds- Many people know that almonds help improve brain function and memory. A little known fact is that these brown-colored nuts contain Vitamin E, which is a staple in many skincare products. Try having 4-6 of them in the morning with your breakfast as a simple way to add them to your daily routine.
- Spinach- Green leafy vegetables have great skin benefits. Spinach is one of the most beneficial vegetables. It’s a rich source of iron and fiber that helps prevent your skin from pimples and rashes. It can also heal your skin from previous breakouts. Prepare spinach in any way you desire – make a side dish or a green smoothie!
- Eggs- The vitamins and proteins within eggs act as antioxidants and detoxify your skin of impurities. A healthy amount of eggs in your diet can help reduce skin rashes, blemishes, and acne. Eggs are great for breakfast, after working out, or you can have them for lunch over a hearty salad.
- Dark Chocolate- Yes, you read that right! Dark chocolate can have great benefits for your skin. Dark chocolate includes cocoa beans that rejuvenate your skin, as they are known to be a great source of antioxidants. So, have some dark chocolate with some granola or trail mix for a midday snack.
- Whole Grains- Whole grains are loaded with fiber, vitamins, and folic acid that can reduce hyperpigmentation of the skin, and replace it with a clearer skin complexion. You can try whole-grain cookies, bread, pasta and flour in your diet for improved skin.
Best Drinks for Healthy Skin
- Green Tea- Green tea is a great source of antioxidants that helps detoxify your skin of harmful bacteria. The components in green tea can also help protect your skin from harmful UV sun rays. For healthy skin, drink a cup of green tea in the morning or the evening before going to bed.
- Green Smoothie- Many people prefer getting their daily dose of leafy greens with smoothies, rather than as a meal. Green smoothies are typically made with dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, or Swiss chard. All of the benefits of fiber, calcium, phytochemicals, and vitamins in smoothie form!
There are a number of ways to include a healthy mix of foods and drinks that aid you in your journey for clear skin. This list will give you a good starting point for optimizing your diet! If you have any questions on what to include and exclude from your diet, we welcome your questions and concerns. Contact us and we’ll answer any questions you may have!